Update (26.05.2014): I’ve dug up my old build and measured the voltages of the active components.
All values in Volts except where specified
V+ supply at +8.97V. All pots at 12 o’clock and the EQ section active.
I just finished this vero layout of the Diamond Compressor based on a schematic drawn by WhiteKeyHole over at freestompboxes.org. I’m not entirely sure about the EQ switch (the description on Diamond’s website states it also has a middle position) and the pot values, I’m guessing it uses general purpose diodes, and it supposedly works on pretty much any BJT which is why I went for 2N3904s. Not yet verified, but I think I’m going to give this one a try myself.
Oh, and the original unit uses a whole lot of weird valued metal film resistors, but I’m fairly sure you’ll be fine using approximate values. The parallel 820pF capacitors can most likely also be dropped.
Update (02.05.2011): Vero layout is hereby verified. Built the circuit successfully using common replacements for all the odd component values and a homemade optocoupler using an LDR and a LED encased in shrink tubing.
Update (19.06.2011): I’m reasonably pleased with how it came out in the end, but the wiring still looks a bit messy.
I’ve tried a different approach to the wiring on my last couple of builds. Instead of wiring everything to the hardware first and then finishing off by soldering the wire ends to the board I went the other way around. I’ve started with the wires attached to the board and then connected them to their respective offboard locations. I imagined this would be a lot more tedious and difficult, but now find this not to be the case. It also made it easier to twist wires together and keep them a bit shorter.
Update (20.10.2011): Fixed dead layout link.